TR3#$%?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3#$%?
From: Shrack04@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:07:26 EST
I rebuilt my TR3 engine several years ago and have had it running for several
hours,, not driven yet.  It ran fine .,, I took the carbs off and had them
rebuilt and bushings installed to tighten them up,, Ran fine for a while
after that,, Then it started running poorly,, It still blows blue smoke out
the exhaust, but with only a few hours on the new AE 86mm piston/sleeves I
think that maybe normal.  It has just started running badly, fouling the
plugs within minutes and about kills me with the gas smell.  Since it ran
fine after the carb rebuild,, I started checking ignition.  I found 15k ohm
resistance between the piercing screw on the coil wire terminal and the
button that rides on the rotor so I replaced the cap,, Put in a new
condenser,, dressed the points which still looked new, New Bosch plugs as the
Champions would hardly fire from being fouled.  I've set the timing ,
installed a new vacuum advance I had,  I get a fairly strong "purple"? spark
with the plugs out on on the head and seem to be uniform.  I pulled the tops
off the float chambers and checked the float level,, Perfect as I expected
from the carb rebuilder.  I ran a compression check,, #1-4 = 172, 174 174
178.  I have to pull the choke levers to start it, and let it warm up
enriching it only enough to keep it running,, and after it's warm, it will
idle,, but poorly and if I give it throttle,, it just boggs,, really bad,, if
I don't let up it dies.  I didn't replace the coil as it has the correct ohms
in the primary and secondary.  Amoco premium clear fuel about 2 months old,
but kinda smells funky with just a little octane booster.  Maybe the fuel?
Maybe a vacuum leak,?   Seems like it would be something simple, but can't
seem to find it.    Got any clues?  If you want ,, let me know your phone #
off the list,, would like advice,