Triumphs at Sebring 1963

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumphs at Sebring 1963
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:16:28 -0800 (PST)
Cc: mediehljr@yahoo.com
I recently saw this show as several other listers have indicated.  One of the
members of our club is an old Triumph racer who used to race with Bob Tullius
so I thought I would ask him about it the race.  I was pleasantly surprised to
learn that Ed Diehl was one of the drivers of the Triumph that came in second
in class.  He had an interesting story to tell about an ongoing in car fire in
this car.  It seems that a Jag hit the Triumph in the rear early in the race
and bent the tail pipe near the transmission where Kaz Kastner had installed a
piece of flex pipe.  As a result the pipe broke at the flex pipe and the
exhaust exited onto the trans cover.  As most of you know the transmission
cover is made of pressed cardboard or something like that and before long it
caught fire from the exhaust.  Ed said that for a while they had to squirt
water from a drinking bottle onto the trans cover, about once per lap, to put
out the flames.  Eventually the exhaust burned through the trans cover and the
flames stopped but not the exhaust fumes.  Ed said he had a headache for two
days after the race from the carbon monoxide.

I don't care what those sports elitists say, race car drivers are athletes too
(cognitive abilities may be diminished during periods of carbon monoxide
poisoning).

Mike Lunsford, President , Triumph Standard Motor Club