TR4 Transmission - what to do?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Transmission - what to do?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:11:18 -0800
Hi everyone,

After a long period of lurking (and not lurking), thought I'd pop back
to drop this oft-asked question:

My transmission is failing.  What shall I do?

The symptoms: gear selector is feeling 'loose', gears are noisy, faint
steady knocking noise that corresponds to wheel speed (most audible when
coasting to a stop for a stoplight).  The noise has been getting
steadily worse, but the loose selector & knocking noise are brand new,
only happened for one day (er, early morning, returning home at 2AM)

This is for a 1962 TR4 with (apparently) stock transmission, non-OD.

My question:  What sort of things should I buy?  Is it time to do a
clutch job too, or should I inspect first?  Gaskets / gasket material to
get?  Special tools?  Should I go for the 'magic clutch recipe, or stick
with original stuff?

Can I drop in a newer TR6 (or non-Triumph) transmission in, so that I
can continue to drive while rebuilding the original?  How about older,
eg. TR3 without synchro first?

And if anyone's got links to HOWTO websites, or BTDT sites, I'd much
appreciate it.  Looks like I will not be driving through winter, as I
know that once the tranmission comes out I will be compelled to fix the
floor.  And the fenders.  And the trunk.  And the hinges.  And the
cowling.  Ugh.

Thanks in advance,
-Malcolm Walker, extreme lurker
1962 TR4  CT10339L

----
To know that which you do not know, is the best.
                                        --Confucious