Re: Compressor/Air Tools (long)

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: Compressor/Air Tools (long)
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 06:21:53 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Mike,

Good purchase.  The compressor is probably the tool I rely on most in the
garage.  Works great for blowing the dust off the little woman's
knick-knacks and baskets.......she's got baskets everywhere!

............ Ingersol-Rand model 2340L5 (5 HP, 2-stage, 60 gallon)
I have the Craftsman 6HP, 30 gallon, 220volt, horizontal, oil-less model.
I installed it in the loft and plumbed it throughout the garage with
quick disconnects.  This saves floorspace downstairs and cuts down on the
noise as well. Mine will run anything that will be used in a shop.  I
have the drain plumbed downstairs for ease of access.  Other than that I
never even look at it.  I throw the breaker every night in case a line
bursts as I don't want it running all day.

............ In looking at air tools, there seem to be several options...
I have a Craftsman 3/8 ratchet and it works well.  Try not to use them
for breaking the nut free.  The gear mechanism will break and they're not
waranteed with the Craftsman lifetime warranty.

............Devilbiss, Made in China tools, Porter Cable, Harbor
Freight's Central Pneumatic, Ingersoll-Rand ,Craftsman.
...........  Everything but my Craftsman ratchet is Campbell-Hausfield
"Professional" series from Home Depot or the now departed Home Quarters.
I've had no trouble with any of them and I use them a lot.  I believe
that they are all made in Taiwan.  I try to stay away from anything made
in China unless I only want to use it once or seldom use it.  Sometimes
the price is hard to pass up though.  In talking to "tool people" they
tell me that Taiwanese is pretty good but China just doesn't have the
matallurgy correct yet.

............which air tools are the most needed? The impact is free and a
ratchet seems obvious...what else?
Listed in priority of my use.
- eye protection
- pressure regulator
- moisture filter
- blow gun with extension made out of flexible steel brake line...this
works great to get at tough places.
- 1/2" impact wrench
- air chuck for tires
- cutoff tool
- grease gun - this is a goodie.  Got it at WalMart for less than $30.
- Rapid-Reel hose reel
- die grinder
- chisel/hammer for exhaust etc.
- body saw - 10,000 strokes per minute - great for cutting panels
- sandblast cabinet - Chinese
- paint spray guns
- pressurized sand blaster - Chinese
- 3/8 drill
- d/a sander
- lots of good 3/8" rubber hose.  I have both Goodyear and Makita.  I
would recommend using the Makita.  The Goodyear tends to weep an oily
substance in the cold weather.  I think it might be a release agent of
some sort used in the manufacture of the hose.  The Makita doesn't do it.
 The cheap hoses are a PIA in the cold weather as they don't like to
uncoil very well.

Keep the tools clean and well oiled.  They also work better when warm.

Have fun with your new tools,
Jay Welch - Abington, MA
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
1971 TR6 project, 1973 TR6 Wanting to "Drive it hard"