Re: Semantics

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Semantics
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:50:40 -0500
Jonmac (and others) wrote:
> Factorywise, they were known as TR2, TR3...

Let us not forget the small wheelbase models:
Spitfire 4
Spitfire Mk 2
Spitfire Mk 3
Spitfire IV
Spitfire 1500
GT6
GT6 Mk 2 (GT6+ in US)
GT6 Mk 3
(Note that Spitfire 4 and Spitfire IV mean such different cars.  Apparently
semantics really is important!)

Curiously, the various literature of the day weren't so compulsive about
these details.  For example, a glance through one of the Brooklands reprint
anthologies shows such inaccuracies as Mk. 3, Mk. 2, Mk IV, etc.  One of the
two Spitfire books by Graham Robeson uses nomenclature such as Mk III, etc.

The badging on the rear of the Mk 2 GT6 showed "GT6Mk2" with the Mk being a
much smaller font.  The badging on the front of the IV was "Spitfire IV".

I've owned my Spitfire for 15 years, the GT6 for about 15 weeks.  I could've
bought a TR6 back in '74.  Got a Fiat X-1/9 instead.  If I'd bought the TR6,
the probability of it lasting this long isn't very high!

Jonmac, what was the factory's "opinion" of the Spitfire and GT6?

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)
'70 GT6+ (Nigel)