Re: misrepresented Stag motor on eBay

To: "LGMiceli" <lgmiceli@mediaone.net>, <stag-digest@digest.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: misrepresented Stag motor on eBay
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:03:28 -0500
> I checked eBay this morning and  saw tha there was a new listing
> under Stag parts.  "NEW" BL built Stag motor that has "been in a
> box" for 19 years. Then I looked at the pictureof what looks like a
> brand new motor. Boy, it looked familiar...That's because it is a
> picture of MY Stag motor on a stand at a shop in Boca Raton. I know
> because it is listed on my web site (www.pompano.net/~lgmiceli)
> Now, I don't know if the rest of the posting is true, but taking the photo
> and representing it as the motor for sale is outright misleading. If
> anyone is interested in this item BEWARE!
>
> Larry Miceli

Larry, have you contacted the eBay folks about this?  Not that I'm saying
you will have any luck with them, but it is worth a shot... it is
misrepresentation.

Then again about a year ago there was an MGC Sebring on eBay, and I knew it
was a fake... but it was being represented as the real car, and even had the
license plates from the real RMO699F car.  I contacted eBay a few times, as
this was a case of a $25,000+ fraud... and they were not interested at all.
I even went so far as to get statements from Ron Gammons (Browns & Gammons
MG Center in the UK... who had the real one in his shop at the time), John
Chatham (who at one time owned one of the other Sebring cars, and all the
spare parts), and Mick Darcey (owner of the two real Sebring MGCs, and a
bunch of other real factory MG competition cars).  Mick even offered to
provide documents from the authorities in the UK detailing the account of
the fake car, and how the fake car, when it resided in the UK, had it's
plates removed by the police because it wasn't the original article.

Anyway, eBay did nothing about it.  The Attorney General of NY (where the
owner of the car resided) and RI (where the dealer of the car resided,
selling it on consignment) did nothing about it.  However, I did my very
best to inform as many people in the MG community about this car prior to
the close of the auction and happily the car did not sell... although I did
get two nasty notes from the owner and the dealer (particularly nasty).

So thank you Larry, you're doing the right thing!

Kai