Re: water by pass TW

To: twakeman@cruzers.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: water by pass TW
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:50:28 EST
In a message dated 12/14/2001 9:19:16 AM Mountain Standard Time,
twakeman@cruzers.com writes:

> SO your stance is that automotive engineers designed a coolant bypass
> into the furguson/Standard/Triumph engine, all the four cylinder petrol
> engines used in all the Land Rovers from 1948 through the 1980's (they
> have skirted thermostats & bypasses too) and who knows how many other
> engines...
>
> Just because they were bored and wanted to find a way to increase the
> complexity and cost of the engine?

Actually, I think they knew this list would need something to talk about in
another 40 years or sol.  You know, recreating the lore and all the stories
because we're bored with working on our cars and need something to takl about.

> When the thermostat is closed, the water pump pumps coolant inside the
> engine block via the bypass.

GEe, no kidding !! I was not aware of that!! Wow.  You know you learn
something evey day.  Sheesh.  After all those TR engiens I did, I never even
thought about it>  Maybe because I never had a head fail, even with a blocked
bypass.  I also read on another list that  driving a car during an eclipse
causes an electromagnetic field that causes the 4 cyl. TR 3ngine to go
backwards.

  > more even temperature throughout
> the engine.

Even the hot spots on the sun??

> What possible reason could the automotive engineers have for wanting to
> circulate coolant within an engine as it comes up to operating
> temperature?

We'll its obvious that you know more than they ever did, so why argue?

> Golly maybe it was a communist plot to make the cars more expensive.

Actually, I have it on good authority that it was Bin Laudin or was it
Saddam.  I lways get them mixed up.  Saddam did build a bypass into his
reactor cooling, I understand.

> So pardon me for advancing the silly notion that different temperatures
> along different parts of a cast iron object can cause uneven expansion of
> the metal and set up internal stresses.
>
> Well that makes all the difference in the world.  I can accept a notion, or
> even two.  I thought you were quoting factory wisdom.  sorry, my mistake.

Ever hear of the concept of localized boiling inside a cylinder head?