testing for starter/solenoid failure on 76 TR6

To: "INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com" <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>
Subject: testing for starter/solenoid failure on 76 TR6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:56:08 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com

The answer to this may end up being "just buy a new starter and solenoid"
but I wanted to ping the wisdom of the list before I spend $190+ and run
the risk of finding that I didn't need to.   My 76 TR6 sat for some months
(I know, I should be ashamed of letting it sit) and when I finally went to
start it this week, the starter wouldn't turn at all.  Not even a click.
All warning lights glow properly and windshield wipers and headlights
work.   The starter has always worked well previously and has given no
signs of trouble before this.

<snip>

My guess is that the solenoid is bad.   But I hate guessing.   Any other
possibilities based on what I described?  <

Greg, the 76 has a starter relay that also could cause this problem.
Question: does the Brake Warning light come on when you crank?  If so then
I would suspect that the starter relay is OK but the contacts for the
starter solenoid may still defective.  If you have a volt meter or a test
light you should check for voltage at the solenoid coil terminal when the
key is in the start position before you change out the starter.

Good luck

Dave