Re: Acid Rain???

To: levilevi@attbi.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Acid Rain???
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:30:57 +1100 FILETIME=[16B10E30:01C191CD]
Bud Rolofson wrote:

>You've probably got mostly organic carbon particles (the main >pollutant
>from that kind of a burning source) in your "black rain" but >it could have
>scavenged some nitrates and sulfates (more from cars, >utilities, et.al.)
>that were in the air too.   Nitrate and sulfate >particles can be fairly
>hygroscopic so they will absorb moisture out >of the air as they sit on
>your car.  I'd rinse it off as soon as >possible as it could be/become a
>bit acidic.

I'm not super-worried about the rain itself as it is easily washed off, but
I am worried about the smoke and (dry) ash. Ash is deposited on my car
whenever I drive it/have it outside and it even gets into my garage
overnight. In the morining there is a thin layer on my car.

Would this ash by itself, in its dry form, be a worry? We will probably keep
getting the ash for some time...

Cheers,
Michael