RE: Advice on cylinder head (long and full of math so beware)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Advice on cylinder head (long and full of math so beware)
From: jackandangie@attbi.com
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:20:43 +0000
Randall asks:

"Then why does freezing water break concrete sidewalks
and cast iron engine blocks ?  Ice isn't nearly as hard
as concrete or cast iron ..."

Because water, unlike other materials, actually expands
as it gets colder. And, since water is incompressable
(sp?), when trapped in a confined space the pressure it
builds up is usually greater than the structural
integrity of the surround. So, in it's attempt to move
from an area of greater concentration (hi pressure) to
an area of lesser concentration (low pressure) it
chooses the path of least resistance which may be the
freeze plugs if you are lucky, but more than likely the
weakest part of your block.

I know I probably didn't use the correct terms, but you
should get the idea.

Jack