Re: rust ==NON LBC

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rust ==NON LBC
From: Todd Richmond <twr@hpestwr.fc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:04:11 -0700
Fred, (or anyone else who wants to answer),

Okay, I keep hearing about this powder-coating thing, so I was hoping to ask a
few questions.  I was going to e-mail my questions directly to Fred, but in
case I'm not the only one out there wondering . . .

1) What exactly is it?  I know that it is some kind of paint application that
is supposed to be very durable, but what is it, and how does it work?  I have
gotten the impression that applying it uses electricity and generates a lot of
heat.  Is this true?  Any good how-to's or websites out there?

2) How much skill is involved in applying it?  Or, if it's so great, why
doesn't everyone who calls themselves a car restorer own one?

3) What brandnames would you recommend?  What things should you watch out for
when purchasing one?  How much should I expect to pay for a good quality unit?
How much are supplies?

4) Any special prep that needs to be done? (other than for a more conventional
paint job).

5) What kind of results should I expect?

5) Anything else I should know?  Safety issues? Other pros? cons?

Thanks,

Todd Richmond
1959 TR3A