Re: Herald 1147cc engine

To: <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Herald 1147cc engine
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:02:02 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
8.0:1 was considered (in relative terms) the High compression Engine
and this is what the HE suffix refers to - the later 8.5:1 engine used
the same suffix. Other markets where poorer quality fuel was expected
to be used were supplied with an LE suffix Low compression Engine, on
the 1147 this was 6.8:1. Confusingly, some (earlier) engines simply
had an E suffix - those I have seen were all High Compression units,
but don't assume that to be definitive.

Hi, Bill
Nearly 40 years ago, I queried why sometimes only the E was there as a
suffix. The explanation given was that an E suffix was regarded as
*normal* compression for any engine - though *normal* was something of
a movable feast. Looking back, it seems the transition came about at
roughly the time of the cessation of tractor production. Cars were
being made for markets where higher (and lower) octane fuel was
available, hence the addition of H or L for higher and lower
compression suffix identifiers. Having recently started to make
in-roads into the tractor side of the business, it seems all petrol
and petrol/TVO/LO engines had an E identifier. My own Fergie and the
three others belonging to my neighbour all have E suffixes with
*normal* compressions of 4.8:1. Extremely low by car standards - but
normal for the tractor. Haven't yet come across a diesel version to
check out the argument but wouldn't be surprised if that was also an
E.

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI, TED 152318 1950 Ferguson TED20