RE: micrometers and calipers

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: micrometers and calipers
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:37:00 -0800
> I'm hoping to try my hand at an engine rebuild this summer; a
> 1980 Spit 1500 off a parts car.  In looking at my new ENCO
> catalog I see that the various measuring instruments come with
> an incredible range of prices, from about $14 to $500 or so.
> How much would I have to pay to get something that will be
> useful to me for engine and transmission rebuilds?

IMO, Enco's cheapest grade is adequate for home engine building.  So,
something like :

Ratchet thimble micrometers, either the 0-4" set or the individual 0-1, 2-3
and 3-4 ones.  (eg 600-0004 @ $48)  BTW, do check the calibration, using the
supplied standards.  One of mine was off by .0004" as supplied, but the
standard was right.  After calibrating, we compared it with a Starrett at
several different points, and they agreed within .0002".  Let both the mike
and the standard warm to 'room' temperature before doing the calibration.

Dial calipers, 0-6" will do.  (eg 610-5026 @ $15)

Feeler gauges.  About $5

Dial test indicator, .001" graduation, 1" travel, with base.  (eg 625-1300,
currently $27)

Telescoping gage set (eg 615-6610, $14)

I just recently added a "small hole gage set", 615-6250 $29, but haven't
tried them yet.

You'll also want some Plasti-gage, but Enco doesn't sell it.  Crane sells a
nice degree wheel fairly cheap (or at least used to).

Which brings up another point, I learned to rebuild engines armed with just
feeler gages, Plasti-gage, and a carpenter's square.  Those, and a little
creativity, will handle most of the jobs you need to do.  For example, to
measure cylinder wear, take a single compression ring from a piston, and use
the bare piston to push it into the bore.  The very bottom of the bore
basically doesn't wear, so measure the ring end gap there as a baseline.
Then take 2 or 3 more measurements with the ring higher in the cylinder to
measure the wear.

Of course, that $600 Mitutoyo internal micrometer will work just fine too
... <g>

Randall