Refilling coolant in 1980 TR7

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Refilling coolant in 1980 TR7
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:42:14 -0500
Well, I am finalizing the installation of UK-type SU carbs in my 1980 TR7.  One
of the
complications was that there was insufficinet clearance around two heater pipes
for the
rear fuel bowl.  I had to remove the steel intermediate pipes and re-route some
rubber pipes to
run lower down.  It looks pretty good.  I have all the pipes buttoned up and
now I need to
refill the coolant.

Well, now....  What do I have to do to refill the system properly.  The coolant
only poured
out of the head and water pump.  The radiator is full.  The heater probably
drained some as well.

All of my manuals say to remove the filler plug from the thermostat housing and
refill there.
Obviously they are referring to earlier cars where there is apparently a hex
bolt on the top
of the housing.

So what do I do?  WIth an aluminum hear, I would imagine that it is important
to refill as much as
possible before running the engine!

-Tony