TR6 rear hub breakage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 rear hub breakage
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 06:19:29 -0600
I'd like the benefit of input from any listers who have first-hand
knowledge of TR6 rear hub breakage.

I disassembled my street TR6 rear suspension to lubricate the sliding
splines on the half shafts in hopes of making them last longer. I found
that there was a telltale grease trail on the inside of the brake shoes
on one side, so I decided to replace all the seals and bearings,
requiring the dreaded disassembly of the rear hubs.

When the hubs were pulled from the stub axles, I was astonished to find
that both hubs were broken, and from the appearance of the surface at
the break, both had been broken a long time. The break was at the corner
junction of the part the bearing presses on and the shoulder against
which it presses.

Thanks to the efforts of my good friends Jim Hill and Irv Korey, I now
have two donor hubs and will start the reassembly -- but I'm puzzled
about why the hubs broke. Anybody else have this experience?

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue