RE: Preservation -longish (a long reply - sorry)

To: "'John Macartney'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Preservation -longish (a long reply - sorry)
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:28:28 -0500
Hello John:

I am truly sorry to hear about the plight of your friend. I admire your
desire to help. However that being said one should always ask oneself a few
questions before embarking on any venture:

1 - Is there a need for my product?
2 - What will define success for this venture?
3 - If successful, what will be the return?
4 - What will be the lost opportunity cost of this venture? (If we are doing
this we aren't doing something else)
5 - Is the return - the opp. cost sufficient justification to do the
venture?

I have to do this sort of analysis all the time for new technical
developments at our firm. I can't begin to tell you how many fascinating
projects I have had to shelve because of it. Truly heartbreaking seeing
people offer stuff we could have had on the market 2 years ahead of them
except for question 4. I have engineers who I believe truly hate me for some
of these decisions.

I analyse any business or opportunity using a simple concept. Call it "money
density" if you will. The idea of renting an expensive storefront for
example. If you fill the shelves with big bags of popcorn at $1 per bag, the
total possible return of selling every bag of popcorn might barely pay the
rent on the store. Even if it did, one must still subtract the lost salary
that could have been earned elsewhere. Not a winning situation. That's why
fancy shops in expensive areas carry only designer clothes, electronics and
jewelry. Money density is a key to analysing any business.

The car rental business is one built on tight margins, careful cost control,
many many communications and above all volume. One man, one car, one
telephone is not really a recipe for success.

The problem with renting the LBC out is that, as you intimated yourself,
maintaining the machine and finding business for it will cost more than you
can reasonably expect to charge for its rent. I believe that you are on a
better track to helping your friend when you arrange to pass work his way.
Now, that being said, here is the only way I can see to really combine the
idea of helping your friend and saving the LBC:

In retailing the idea of the "loss leader" is to offer as a bonus something
that will return more in general business activity than the specific cost of
the giveaway.

Get this car. Have it become a courtesy vehicle given to customers with a
specific level of work being performed on their machines. A half-day job
with all fluids and tune-up with plugs and points replaced for example.
Build your friend up as a small business doing those repairs. "When you
bring your LBC to me you don't have to stop driving one". People will bring
in their car for a tune-up or whatever if they also get to try out a
different antique for a half day or so. It's attractive, sounds
business-like and could help bring in the customers that are needed. That
way the cost of the machine is offset by general rise in activity. It may be
the cheapest form of effective advertising to start a home business. The
type of vehicle you desribe is ideal to this purpose. Some garages tried it
with fancy cars, but an untried driver driving a Porche while their civic
was being repaired didn't work out. Not hard to see why.

The home business idea may seem a bit strange, but I must say that if the
best way he can earn a bit on the side is the LBC repair work, then this may
be the way to make it go. Otherwise, I believe that mixing business with
pleasure is the best recipe for ending up with neither one.

Best of luck,

Mark Hooper