TR3 horn repair question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 horn repair question
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:07:34 -0600
With the beautiful weather here in Iowa today, I returned to the
garage to put in some time on the '3.

I opted to see about resurrecting the horns for today's project.  I
read quickly through the Bentley manual's section on horns, and I was
able to clean, lube and adjust the low note horn - it now works just
fine.  The high note horn, however, does not work reliably.  It seems
to have a lot of slop in the bush/pin arrangement, more than the
other horn, and I think the pin binds after a brief period of use.
This means no noise and an electrical short.

According to the Bentley manual, when the bush has worn like this
(the pin does not appear worn, and is nice and smooth) there is no
way to repair the horn.

Is this actually the case?  Anyone have any secrets for rejuvenating
these old Lucas beasts?

Or does anyone have a working Lucas high note horn available?  I
don't care much about pretty - I like cleaning and painting!

Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Front suspension & steering back together too - now for the brakes.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!