Steering box removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering box removal
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Roulleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 00:42:06 +0100
Help needed !
After having assembled the newly painted body of my TR3A I'm
confronted with an oil leak in the steering box.I't's important enough
to consider removal of the assembly.It concerns a split column.I
tried envain to retrieve the lower part without removing the front
apron,the major problem seems to be the chassis crossbar.Before
I unbolt the bar I would like to fall back on your experiences in this
field. When undoing the 2 lower crossbar bolts on both sides can I
rotate the bar sufficiently to extract the steering box or do I have to
remove the whole bar,or is this not working at all.
If I have to remove the front apron again !!!  I will punish myself by
buying a rack and pinion steering. Does anybody know which
system is a bolt on design, because I hate to  fall back on welding .
Thanks a lot for any input
Regards
Jean