RE: help Carb Problem

To: "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, <BennettDat@aol.com>
Subject: RE: help Carb Problem
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:01:17 -0600 cpqcorp.net>
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[9B5733C0:01C1B74E] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g1H11RN10226
Bob,

As usual, Dave is 100% correct.  Just this week I found two carb bowls
from a TR7 w/o the plug for $15.  I'll put them on next week.

If you go with new o-rings, the size is 2-114.  Be sure to ask for Viton
as they will not breakdown from the gas.

I got mine from Rocket Seals in Denver.  They cost $0.84 each, plus
shipping.

Regards,

Bill
Atlanta
74 TR6

Message text written by INTERNET:BennettDat@aol.com
>I just started my TR6 for the first time in a year and after a new
battery

she jumped right over....one big problem. From the bottom of the front
Carb

gas is flowing while the engine is on. When off it does not run....there
is
round stort of cap on the bottom of the carb where it apperas to be
coming
from...any help would be greatly appreciated..........
<

Bob,

There is an O-ring that seals this plug to the float bowl.  Over the
years
it will dry and loose its resiliency and start to leak.  Depending on
the
year of the car it will either screw in or snap in.  If you can remove
it
and get some O-rings (either from a carb rebuild kit or from an O-ring
supplier that can supply you with one that is good for use with gas) and
clean the bore in the float bowl where it seals you can cure the leak
without removing the carbs.  You might also try what Peter suggested
earlier thsi week and apply a light bead of non-hardening gasket sealer
the O-ring before installation.

The ultimate solution is to find some carbs from a late 70's model car
(TR7, TR8, Spitfire, MG).  These carbs had float bowls cast without the
hole and hence no need for the plug.  Be sure the donor carb is a 1 3/4
inch carb (CD175-something).

Why the hole?  The Stromberg carburettor started out life as one with
adjustable jets.  Some model TR4's have this style carb.  However, in
the
late 60's the US implemented emissions standards and in order to meet
these
the carb design was modified to a fixed jet/adjustable needle style of
mixture adjustment.  The hole in the bottom was carried over probably
due
to the fact that the adjustable jet models were still used in other
parts
of the world and we got the plug.

Good luck

Dave