Re: Brake Lock up

To: Gerald Van Vlack <>
Subject: Re: Brake Lock up
From: "Jack W. Drews" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:20:37 -0600
Gerald Van Vlack wrote:

>  It seems that the push rod for the master
> cylinder was not fully releasing and therefore it was not allowing the fluid
> to fully return to the master cylinder. Each pump of the brakes put slightly
> more fluid into the system until there was enough to cause the fronts to
> lock up.

This sure sounds like a reasonable explanation. It's probably the cause. Kind of
strange -- the booster on the car was brand new two years ago, so this new one
means two boosters in two years of driving.

Let's see, these things are $300 apiece, I've put 15,000 miles on the car in
those two years, so that means, um, at $600 divided by 15,000 miles gives $0.04
per mile for brake boosters, while gasoline, at $1.30 a gallon and 25 mpg gives
gasoline cost of $0.05.

Of course, this is one of those calculations that I dare not show my wife. She
would probably get ideas about amortizing my total racing costs over the track
time minutes I get and that is a truly awful ratio.........

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue

/// mailing list
///  To unsubscribe send a plain text message to
///  with nothing in it but
///     unsubscribe triumphs
///  or try