Re: TR6 Oil Leaks

Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Leaks
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:29:56 -0800
>Before I crawl up under there, thought I would ask the group for common areas
>underneath where oil leaks are encountered (74 TR6).  I drive the car only
>every 2 - 3 weeks, and when I move it there is a 1/2 quart-sized puddle of
>oil on the floor.  The only thing I have tightened so far is the oil filter,
>which has the spin-on conversion.  I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but common areas for TR6 oil leaks is anywhere
on a mechanical component which contains oil!

Seriously, I get oil seeping past the tightened drain plug in the
sump, some seepage from under the mechanical fuel pump, and some from
the rear portion of the valve cover gasket which then drains down the
back of the block.  Also look for gear oil dripping from the
tailshaft seal on the gearbox and/or from the selector shaft o-rings
in the top cover of the gearbox.  A bad front gearbox seal would drip
oil from the lower forward-most part of the bellhousing.  The diff
will lose oil from the pinion seal and/or the side flange seals.