FS long

Subject: FS long
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:32:13 -0600
Well, I guess it's time to grow up. :(

For Sale:  All are located in east central Illinois, about 180 miles due
south of Chicago, 110 miles west of Indianapolis, 120 miles east of St.
Louis.

1961 Triumph Herald, convertible.

Commission #Y14858LCV, Body number RAT31.  It is thought to be the oldest
surviving convertible.  This car has been my daily driver (750 miles per
week) for almost a year and I would not hesitate to jump in it and drive it
anywhere.  (In fact, to prove the point, I will offer to deliver it to the
lucky new owner for the price of airfare home)  It was given an amateur
restoration ten or fifteen years ago and has aged nicely.  It has four
almost new (80%) radial tires, an AM/FM Cassette radio, powder coated
wheels, an electric fuel pump and an alternator conversion.  Otherwise it is
bone stock.  (It does have an 1147c.c. engine which is not original, but
more on that later) black cardboard dash and white gauges.  The speedometer
/ odometer quit last fall at 98,000 miles but all of the other gauges
(including the trip odometer) and lights (including the dash and glove box!)
work fine.  The previous owner repaired the outriggers and there is the
typical rust around the front wheel arches, otherwise there is NO rust
through and I have found it to be remarkably solid.  Compression is good
(125-135 psi on all cylinders), it runs like the proverbial Singer sewing
machine and comes with a newly rebuilt generator and a newly rodded and
tested radiator.  It uses 1 quart of oil every 800 miles, but for the looks
of things, that is more Triumph seals than indicative of engine problems.  I
have been consistently getting 30 to 34 mpg on pump regular.  It is primrose
yellow with a black top.  The top has two small holes but the rear window is
basically clear.  There is a crack in the windshield, but I have a solid
replacement and brand new seal waiting to go in.  Also have six to ten
different owners repair manuals, including Triumph, Haynes, Ball, etc.

It would be a shame to restore this car as the patina is half the charm, and
I doubt there is a better "unrestored" Herald out there.  I have a copy of
the original bill of sale, (sold October 7, 1960 as a 1961 model.  Heck, I
would bet it was one of the very first to be sold in this country) the
Heritage Certificate and about 15 years worth of history.  $3,750 or very
near offer.  Clear Illinois title

1965? Triumph Herald convertible

Parts car or very ambitious restoration project.  This has served as car #1
donor.  It is basically complete car, except for the "new" parts above.
This one is rough.  The odd thing is that although it should have a 1200 cc
engine, in fact it has the 948 cc that would be the engine the good Herald
should have had!  This car shows fairly low mileage (47,000 as I recall) and
is a treasure trove of usable parts.  The running gear is complete and most
of the trim is present.  $500 or near offer.  Clear Indiana title.

1958 Triumph Model Ten

Very high commission number, TBE9239LDLB.  This car runs well although I
have not licensed it to drive.  Most of the body repair has been completed
and it is absolutely complete (except carpets).  The body panels are
straight and for the most part solid.  It has completely new brakes, from
the master on and a friend is supposed to be putting on a new exhaust
system, including muffler.  I will also include a NOS grill, a NOS turn
signal/ light switch, a full set of NOS tie rod ends and an original radio
(condition unknown).  I have the Heritage Certificate, an original shop
manual, an original parts book and a complete set of period advertising.
$1750 firm.  No title, but I am holding an affidavit from the previous owner
and will give an affidavit to the next buyer.

1958 Triumph Model Ten

Low commission number (TBE1958LDLB, as I recall) .  This is at best a parts
car.  In fact, bring the cutting torch 'cause I doubt it could even be drug
onto a trailer :)  Block, transmission, front hubs, front kingpin
assemblies, steering box and arms, all springs, rear lever shocks and rear
end/axles/hubs are still there (those axles are valuable to the Lotus /
Chapman guys), but otherwise you are buying scrap steel. $250 or best offer.
Clear Illinois title.

Needless to say, there is also a small garage full of spares for these cars,
including many of the Model Ten parts, two Solex carb rebuild kits, a new
set of Herald brake shoes, an extra Model Ten radiator and generally a lot
of junk :).

1992 Toyota Previa All Trac.

216,xxx miles.  Need I say more?  It's a great parts hauler :)  $2500 ONO
Clear Illinois title.

Feel free to call for more details or to arrange a viewing.  Over the next
week or so I intend to snap a few photographs in anticipation of listing
these, but I wanted to give my friends on this list the first opportunity.
No, I am not "giving up."  I just realized the other day that all of this
started almost 7 years because of a certain TR3 that is still awaiting
finish.  Maybe, if the Ten's and Heralds had not intervened it would be done
by now.  Besides, one guy is only allowed to have so much fun. :)

Ken Gano
217-345-1260 (home)
217-259-3977 (cell)