Re: Toyota MR2's and LBC owners

To: "J.B. Zimmerman" <jbz@ronin7.com>
Subject: Re: Toyota MR2's and LBC owners
From: Barry J Hammel <BlueSky@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:26:10 -0600
Hi All

"J.B. Zimmerman" wrote:

>    I own two sports cars.  One is my 1970 TR6, and the other is a 1987 Mk.I
> Toyota MR2, normal aspiration.  IMHO, the MR2 is an absolute kick to drive.
> While it doesn't have a load of horsepower (you'd need a Supercharged Mk. I
> or a turbo Mk. II - 145/225HP, respectively) it doesn't need it.  The fun of
> the MR2 is not in straightline speed, but in *handling*.  The MR2 (Mk. I at
> least, I don't have a Mk. II) is what our beloved LBCs would be with modern
> kit in the suspension and a slightly different design philosophy.  In sum, I
> get a thrill just owning and driving my TR6.  In the MR2, whenever I'm
> feeling unsure, I take it to a tight highway offramp and blast through it at
> around 65-70mph with no slip whatsoever.  the resulting grin is enough to
> reassure.

I drive a TR3 on the street ( also have one in pieces).    Last spring after
volunteeraing at a "tire wall day" at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, near Rockford
Illinois - spend all morning rebuilding the tire walls built infront of trees,
concrete wall, and armco barriers - we were rewarded with taking laps around the
track, "no passing allowed".

I saw a MR2 in an Improve Touring class - minor modifications- with street
tires.  While admiring it the owner asked me to join him for a few laps.  WOW!
it
does handle - mid engine cars provide a nice balance.

Still love the TR3 solid rearend slides.  Ooops... I mean controled two wheel
drifts  :-)

Cheers,  Barry