RE: Reader's Digest Triumph Joke, very long, not LBC but very Bri tish.

To: "'Sumner Weisman'" <sweisman@gis.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Reader's Digest Triumph Joke, very long, not LBC but very Bri tish.
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 19:06:33 -0500
Sumner said : "Why are there no British computers?"

(Anybody who doesn't want to hear about computers please stop here, I don't
want to bore the list)

For the purposes of this note LBC = Little British Computer ;^)

Now you've done it!!! (steam mode on!!!) (grin)

(Actually, not mad or anything, just setting the record straight.)

Back at the beginning of the forties when the USA was still clutching itself
and hoping Hitler would spontaneously combust (Hey! it happened to the Mayor
of Warsaw, so who knows...), England was somewhat involved in building
electronic machines to break the codes of Germany and Japan. It had a
certain urgency since Hitler's version of a "denial of service" attack
involved somewhat more than defacing your web site. (The Poles really got
the code-breaking ball rolling here as their motivation was even more
personal)

At a place called Bletchley Park they had a somewhat bright gentleman called
Alan Turing working on codes. Computers are still called Turing machines by
some scientists. If I recall, by the early forties the scientists there had
a working digital code breaker running at full speed. Colossus was the first
programmable electronic computer - researched, designed and created at
Bletchley.

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/turing-machine/

Modern electronics really started with the IFF and radar systems in England.
Actually access to these technologies was part of the price put to Britain
to gain America's help in the war. (Remember the cavity magnetron?)

My dad was a radio mechanic in the RAF during war and saw many of the early
things put in place.

One of the whiz-guys Freddie Williams, who designed many of these things,
went to the US to help out the ENIAC project in 1946:
http://www.computer50.org/mark1/williams.html

In 1948, Williams was back in Britain and the world's first digital computer
with a stored program was running in Manchester England.

Here's a link to the museum of computing in Manchester where these things
were done.

http://www.computer50.org/kgill/index.html

My father remembers well being a lab technician hand-grinding quartz
crystals to build the oscillators for the first clock circuits. He had
people staring at him bug-eyed because he could build a 100 Mhz crystal
oscillator around 1951. (could be earlier not sure) Then he went to
university (UCL) in Electrical Engineering. During his time there they had a
50th anniversary party for the original participants in the invention of the
thermionic tube at UCL.

Out of school, he joined up with English Electric who had jumped on the
computer bandwagon at the very beginning.

I enclose a link to the English Electric DEUCE computer:

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ad161/deuce1.html

http://www3.oup.co.uk/computer_journal/hdb/Volume_02/Issue_04/020164.sgm.abs
.html

On a more modern note, I spent a few years building parallel imaging
computers that were stuffed full of the INMOS transputer chips.

Frankly if it wasn't for the fact that rebuilding after the war practically
put England into the third world, it is most likely that they would have
stayed at the economic forefront of the high-tech revolution. As it was the
brain-drain of the end of the 50s and early 60s (the time when my father
came over to Canada on an English Electric transfer) moved the effort to
North America for 50 years. I would still probably get beaten up by many
Brits who would rightly speak of the excellent first-principles work being
done there.

I seem to recall it was an IBM type who estimated the world-wide market for
computers at 5-6 machines. There's vision for you. (yeah, yeah I know what
he meant, but even so...)

Anyway, not to put a point upon it, the "modern" digital revolution may
indeed have come to fruition in the USA, but it most definitely did NOT
start there and it was anything but an exclusively American effort.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper