Motor Misfires

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motor Misfires
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:21:09 -0000
Hi Folks
Just got home from a Car club run organised by the local MG club. Pleased to
say although they had more members there we equalled them car for car.
This did mean enlisting a friend to drive our 2000 MKI saloon, last night we
gave him a test drive and it was awful, I had driven it earlier and it was a
bit off colour, but it got rapidly worse, suffering a carb related type
misfire. I mused over it for the evening then took a look this morning,
pulled the carb tops and checked the diaphragms, no holes, then I remembered
the old adage, "99% of all carb problems are electrical," looked at the
points and found a much reduced gap, reset the gap and retimed the motor and
hey presto it ran fine.
So folks remember this one "99% of all carb problems are electrical," and
don't get too engrossed in pulling carbs until you have ruled out the
ignition!!

Many thanks to whoever first posted that fact for saving me a lot of time.

Graham.

---