RE: Accident Advice=Oops Long

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Accident Advice=Oops Long
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:30:48 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Randall Young"
>It obviously differs from state to state, but in CA I believe they must
send
an officer of the company to small claims court, not an attorney (unless of
course an attorney happens to be an officer).  The monetary limit is $5000
believe, and only actual, direct damages may be awarded.  In the case of an
auto accident, you would not sue the insurance company (since they did not
damage you), but rather the person who hit your car, who would then have to
appear personally (or forfeit).
<

In Missouri it varies from county to county.  Here in St. Louis County you
can represent yourself in small claims court but a corporation must send an
attorney.

But I'm not an attorney (although I play one on TV - not really) and
although you can represent yourself in court it is well worthwhile to spend
an hour with one beforehand.

Dave