Re: Purpose of recession on deck around cylinders

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Purpose of recession on deck around cylinders
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:21:48 -0000
Hi Hugh
The purpose of this recess is to allow for an increase in the thickness of
the fire ring, the folded over edge of the gasket, early engines have one
thickness, later engines have a double (approx) thickness which is supposed
to reduce the likely hood of the gasket failing. This was done to all
Triumph OHV engines after a certain year, and maybe to the OHC's as well. I
don't know whether it works or not, I have a 2.5 PI MKII which should have
had the recess and didn't, driven very hard, and a 2000 MKI also driven
hard, tows big trailers etc, blew the head gasket on the 2000 once after the
first ever replacement in 30yrs due to not re-torquing the head after the
recommended interval. First gasket fitted to the PI when I got it was for
recessed block, neither the cylinders nor the flat bits had a seal, DPO's
"mechanic"? had put silicon RTV gasket round the edges to try and keep the
water and oil in!!!! Yes they were both mixed together as water with oil and
oil with water!!

Graham.