RE: Measuring valve lift

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Measuring valve lift
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:51:14 -0800
> I realize that measuring the actual cam lift would be a better
> thing to do . .
> . but it is so much easier to put a dial indicator on the top of the valve
> spring retainers.

Actually, that will give you a more accurate check of actual valve lift,
which seems 'better' to me.  If you do want to measure cam lift, remove the
rocker shaft and put your dial indicator on top of the push rod.

> In doing so . . I know that there will be some error due to the
> adjustment of
> the valve clearances . . . but none the less, I was wondering what sort of
> differences I should see in the stroke of the valves?

Reputable camshafts are normally rated in valve lift, which includes the
effect of valve lash for solid lifter camshafts.

> One other quick question . . .  am I correct that the cam's lift
> is magnified
> by the valve rockers?  (in other words . .valve stroke = (cam
> lift) x 1.6 (or
> whatever the ratio is for that particular rocker arm)

Yes.  I believe most Triumphs used 1.5 ratio arms.  And, this ratio should
be factored into the rated valve lift.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV