TR3 fender beads and the big three-long and upset

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 fender beads and the big three-long and upset
From: Shrack04@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:54:51 EST
Thanks George for the 9-7/8" measurement.  Mine are 9-1/4"  and that's why it
doesn't reach to the bottom of the fender I guess.  Just one more thing, I
bought early from one of the big three that is crap.  I even had them
polished.  As it was bought a few years ago, I guess I'll have to just buy
more.
I was at Vicky Brit on Saturday and a gentleman was there ranting and raving
about things he'd bought there that were wrong.  He had with him two items.
One, a TR3 windshield that he was having problems with installing, He said it
was too thick, so I mentioned that I had read on the list that the gasket
channel material was probably to thick,, he just looked at me like I was
crazy, Told the kid behind the counter he wanted the calipers and proceeded
to guage the thickness, He then told the kid to go "back there" and get a
thinner one.  My wife and I kinda thought it was funny until the kid came
back with one, that was thinner, with the same kind of plastic wrap on it.
The kid said he was lucky as it was the first one he picked up !    The other
item was a new boxed set of 6 pistons (40 over) for an Austin Healy.  The
gentleman said he wanted flat top pistons and pulled out one of the pistons
to show a Huge Dome on the piston.  He said they would of "hit" if he didn't
fly cut the head and couldn't imagine what the compression ratio must be for
them.  The kid again went "back there" and returned with another box that
looked exactly like the one the man had brought in.  I looked and the part
numbers were the same on the boxes, but when opened,, wa-la,,, flat top (40
over) set of pistons.  If my wife and I hadn't been standing there, we
wouldn't of believed that there were different thicknesses of TR3 windshields
in stock and that the same part numbered piston set could be domed and flat.
Sorry this is so long,, just had to gripe,,,, Kent