RE: Crankshaft end Bolt TR3/4/6

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'trac_all@tracltd.org'" <trac_all@tracltd.org>
Subject: RE: Crankshaft end Bolt TR3/4/6
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:41:50 -0500
Cc: "'ecat71@aol.com'" <ecat71@aol.com>
Thanks Randall !
OK Great,   5/8-18 threads for the replacement crankshaft bolt !  Glad I
asked again!!   Truly Truly appreciate the info, will try to find them
tonight! (1.5" and 1.75 ").

I wondered again when I moved the radiator forward enough to investigated
with an inspection mirror that the 'dog bolt' has at least an 7/8 or 1 inch
or greater head. Also interesting, is that, I noted on my engine, I MUST
remove the fan blade before I can access to the 'Dog Bolt' with a socket. Of
course to get those fan blade bolts off, the radiator has to come out!

I have the radiator 'loose' & ready to drain & remove, but since its a tech
sesson, thought I'd wait until Sat. (to pull the radiator & the metal blade)
when some 'newbies' to our Triumph Club are expected to participate.

I bought a new timing cover gasket and front oil seal, and a new tensioner
spring; although only a trace of dust is embedded in 'a stain' on the timing
cover. So any weeping there is minor, but since I'll 'be there'...  I had
the timing cover 'chrome paint shiny after the restoration, and 'the stain'
ruins my karma when I peer down there!

In preparation for the 2nd part of the project, I 'layed' out the new
Electric Circuit with the Hayden Electric Fan, a relay, and an adjustable
thermister switch (also Hayden).  Interestingly this switch comes with
directions that shows the thermister switch handling the current to the fan
directly, but I'd rather use the thermister switch to activate the relay.
Also wired up the relay to have a cockpit override switch.

What fun, when everything comes together!!!!
Pleasant Triumphing!!

Next electrical project is to help a friend plan a retrofit A/C system to
his 4.2 E-Type Coupe!

Sherman