Re: Commision Plates

To: <Shrack04@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Commision Plates
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:02:07 -0000 g1SH5pG20946
From: <Shrack04@aol.com>

> Anyone ever make replacement commision # plates that are recessed like the
> originals?  Is this done with an acid protective film being placed on the
> non-recessed areas and then the surface being acid etched to remove part of
> the aluminum, then cleaned and painted?  I've see this process on plane parts
> at Boeing.

The original Triumph plates were produced in this way until approximately 1964
- from that year the plates were produced by printing and anodising. As far as
I am aware, my replica plates are the only ones which are etched like the
originals. The process is by printing the areas which remain in relief with an
etch resist film, then immersing in acid. The etched areas are then filled in
black. Sorry I can't go into further details about specific chemicals as this
work is subcontracted - when I was in the electronics industry we used ferric
chloride for etching copper and brass, but I'm unsure what is used for the
aluminium,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--