[Fwd: Re: Break-in oil]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Break-in oil]
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 11:10:43 -0600
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Break-in oil
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 11:06:01 -0600
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>

Dave Massey wrote:

> Message text written by Jeff Johnson
> >How about the new Corvettes or BMW Z3's that come from the factory w/
> synthetic oil? --

You make a good point, and it puzzles me as well. I 'think' but don't
know that
those engines are manufactured with superior cylinder wall finish and
probably
piston rings engineered for this -- but I'm only surmising it.

However, I built one TR4 race engine in which I put synthetic oil at
startup, on
the advice of a person who worked for a major oil supplier. The rings
never
seated, and it caused a teardown and rebuild. So I reverted back to
starting
rebuilt engines on regular oil, getting the rings seated, and then
switching to
synthetic.

By the way -- talk about modern engines -- a number of major
manufacturers do not
start their engines up prior to turning the key at the drive-off at the
end of
the assembly line. Honda started it and just blew away the other engine
manufacturers with the cost reduction -- and Honda engine longevity and
reliability is pretty darned good.

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue