Re: British v American Grammar

To: "'Phil Ethier '" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: British v American Grammar
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:11:27 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Phil Ethier wrote:
Do "electric torches" in the UK run on "batteries" or "cells"?

I think we assume (perhaps automatically?) they have "a battery" or
"batteries" and we call them just 'torches' The flaming versions we
carried for centuries and up to about 1850 haven't been in the shops
for a very long time. Personally, I think this is a retrograde step.
Wouldn't surprise me if we get electric lighting in our homes next.
The guttering candle has much to commend it, yet there are indications
it will soon pass out of fashion

Jonmac