RE: tr6 su conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr6 su conversion
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:10:45 -0800
Alan :

I'm not certain where the 'right' place to connect the vent tube is, but I'm
certain it's not the canister !

Early TR4 had a 'Y' tube that connected to both air filters (special air
filters for this), but I believe the TR4A had a fitting into the intake
manifold, and a 'PCV' valve that limited the vacuum applied to the
crankcase.

One workable option is to simply run a length of heater hose from the vent
tube down towards the ground, recreating the 'road draft' tube used on
TR2-3.

IMO the best solution is to create a true PCV system, with a fresh air
intake linked to the air filters and a suction line into the intake
manifold.  That way, when there is intake vacuum, the system draws filtered
fresh air through the crankcase, reducing the deposits and varnish that
settle out of the fumes.  When there is no vacuum, the fumes are vented into
the air filters, where they are still sucked through the engine and burned.
American cars have had this since about 1965, and AFAIK all modern cars
still do.

The jets don't always have to be replaced, but if I wasn't familiar with the
carbs I'd replace them and the needles anyway.  Assuming you're talking
about HS6 carbs, inspect the tube carefully for any signs of deterioration,
replace if it's anything less than perfect.

Randall