Re: Salvage Squad (Questions for UK Listers)

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Salvage Squad (Questions for UK Listers)
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:46:04 -0000 g2D7o0d17063
From: Kai M. Radicke <kmr@pil.net>

> Never having seen the show, only hearing about it since I live in the US,
> I'm interested to know the actual results of these speedy restorations.
> From the photos I saw of the Bristol, it actually looked like a quality
> restoration job... and from what little information I gathered, they had
> only two weeks to restore it (which included stripping the paint, major
> panel beating, and repainting, retrimming, and engine overhaul).  It was
> apparently judged at a major Bristol Owners' Club event?  How did it fair?

Hi Kai,
    I've only seen one episode where an Alvis Stalwart (amphibious military
truck) was restored. In fact the last word is a little misleading, as it was
more of a case of reinstalling a few missing bits and giving it a coat of
paint. I have been told that the Bristol restoration actually took somewhat
longer than 2 weeks, but I don't have any more information. The programme is
quite good fun, but very lightweight. It will make our 5 year rebuilds seem
incredibly lazy to Joe Public......
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--