Re: Silvestone Wheels

To: "Bill Pugh" <anabil@caltel.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Silvestone Wheels
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:12:58 -0600
>My wheels bolted on and had imitation knock-off caps.  I believe that SCCA
>banned true knock-off wheels sometime in the 60s.

Really?  Must have really annoyed the Cobra guys with the Hallibrands.  I
really don't know about this, but it is possible you are remembering that
they banned wire wheels?

>However, I seem to
>remember that knock-off versions of these wheels could be purchased.  Do
not
>assume that just because you see the knock-off cap in a picture that they
are
>"knock-off wheels."

True.  Minator is a brand of true knockoff wheels which otherwise resemble
Minilites.

Panasport  makes true knockoff wheels for Lotus cars, but those are
pin-drive, not Rudge spline.

>If you where racing seriously (high speed and
>putting a lot of cornering force on the wheels) you needed to get them dye
>tested and magnifluxed for cracks regularly.

No kidding.  I have four genuine magnesium JAP Magna wheels for my Lotus.
All cracked.  Oh, well, they hold air and keep the car off the garage floor
while the stickies are bagged elsewhere.

>If I were going to buy a set of these wheels now; I would want them
>professionally tested.  They will now be quite old and could have been
>abused.  The most dangerous crack start around the bolt holes, often on the
>inside.  You cannot see them with your naked eye; unless the wheel is just
>totally falling apart.

My bolt-hole cracks are visible.  But I agree.  Magnesium wheels should be
tested.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org