Re: Someone special must've be riding with me - (sorry wasn't finished)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Someone special must've be riding with me - (sorry wasn't finished)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:25:14 EST
Got religion, Barry? :-)

Reminds me of an episode about 12 years ago in a Spitfire 1500 in which I was
commuting at the time. I'd nearly completed my usual 19-mile run to work, the
latter part of which involves a bit of Interstate highway and some nice,
sweeping ramps off of a bridge (oh, maybe 40-50 ft. to the pavement below).

I noticed nothing unusual at all until after all that was behind me and I was
on a 5 mph access road, at which point the car made a really annoying, metallic
sound and stopped dead in its tracks. I even saw the LF fender bulge out a bit.
(Eeeuuuwwww.)

Pretty simple problem, actually: the left side vertical link had snapped off
inside the trunnion, pushing the wheel up into the wheel well! No forewarning
of this, though, as the steering had felt fine, etc.

Fortunately, no damage was done (the fender "popped" back into position once
the load was taken off), and repairs were easy enough. Worst part was, for a
few days' time, going from a Spitfire 1500 to a relative's  1973 Pontiac
Bonneville loaner, a car quite capable of carrying the Spitfire in the trunk or
possibly any of the passenger seats. Three times the size of the Spitfire and,
inversely, about 1/3 the gas mileage.

--Andy Mace