On the road again

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: On the road again
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:56:42 EST
Back on the road these last few days after the first winter "maintenance
interval" under my care. I'd just like to thank all those that provided
advice. Thanks and thanks again. This list is truly fantastic.
In case anyone's interested ... here's the limited things I actually did.
It's not all that extensive, but my main goal was to lay it up and crawl
around and under, just to get familiar with ... and keep it away from the
salt.
Complete lube front and back ends, all fittings, hinges, leafsprings, etc,
etc.
Split plastic wiring loom, engine compartment, under dash, headlights,
running lights, and general wiring clean up, trace. (Not original, but hey,
maybe next winter a wiring harness).
Rebuilt (refurbished) previously dead high note horn, basically cleaned the
contacts freed up the bushing and rod, removed aftermarket horn installed by
PO.
Replaced left front brake caliper. PO had broke off an EZ out in the bleeder.
Thanks to you who sold me the used caliper, you know who you are.
New correct screws and spring nuts, etc for the grill.
Replaced tank sender unit, gasket, however the fuel indicator gauge is also
kaput. Replaced filler to tank connector, clamps, banjo bolt washers.
Tightened down tank straps which appeared to be a bit loose.
Refurbished windscreen, all new rubber, screws, etc.
Dropped oil pan, inspected crank, oil pump, trued up the pan, replaced
gasket. 95% of leaks appear to be under control.
Scrapped, cleaned, degreased entire under body, wheel wells and chassis of
all previous undercoating (and years of collected grime). Re-applied
undercoat (3M) and black glossed the chassis. I can say there is no rust, and
boy was I a mess.
Replaced rear suspension link arms, and axle rubber buffers .
Replaced spare tire with 60 spoke (to match other road tires). I found this
at a garage sale for $2.00. I replaced 3 spokes which were bent from the
48'er I had.
Monitored slight leak in steering box, determined that it was not that
serious to do a rebuild at this time.
Made a wooduff key (from a brass washer) for the choke cable and
re-installed. (now it has stops for the choke and high idle ... don't have to
use a match book)
Anyway, there were a lot of other little things I took care of... but for the
first lay up I am satisfied.

FYI, I've put 7,000 miles since I got her in June of last year and am looking
at least that much fun motoring till next year.
Still have to decide whether to put the 86 or 87 mm pistons in the near
future, but she's running well & strong as is.

Anyway, thanks again.

Best Regards,
Ed ('58 TR3A)