Re: Rear Axle Torque Setting

To: "Williams, Bill \(Atlanta\)" <Bill.Williams@COMPAQ.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net p qcorp.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Torque Setting
From: Mike Pisani <mpisani099@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:04:37 -0800 (PST)
<Bill.Williams@COMPAQ.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have the correct torque wrench setting
> for the four bolts and nuts that attach the half
> shaft to the side of the differential?

Bill,
A bolt of a given size and material is only good for
so much tension.  In general, a given bolt size will
be torqued to about the same value, regardless of its
application. You should be able to refer to the
torquing table in your manual and find a host of other
bolts of the same size as those in question here.  My
guess is that all the torquing values will be about
the same.  You will be safe if you use an average
torque for the half shaft bolt size.  As a bit of
added insurance, a new set of nyloc nuts will help to
prevent problems with the bolts rattling loose, if the
torque you choose is a bit on the low side.

Overall though, I wouldn't worry so long as the four
bolts are evenly tightened and feel nice and snug to
you.

Good Luck,
MJP 69 TR6
http://sports.yahoo.com/