steering box rebuild follow-up

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: steering box rebuild follow-up
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:43:29 -0800 (PST)
I asked a couple of questions last week regarding rebuild of the TR3
steering box. My turn to share my experience.

After cleaning and rebuishing my recently acquired s-box and pressing
a new peg in the rocker shaft, I started the adjusments.
Axial play (I.e. non-play) was adjusted fine, using the procedure
described in a post by Bob Westerdale.
Then I tried just finger-pressing the peg to have a feel of how well
is runs in the race. And there WAS a hard point. Actually not exactly
at the same point when turning CW and CCW. So I started to
invertigate closer. You might remember that I mentionned that the
edge of the race in the worm was chipped, so I was expecting problems
at this level. I painted the race with a permanent felt-tipped pen
and re-engaged the peg to see where it was rubbing. SURPRISE! I could
see that the ink was rubbed away in the top 1/3 of the race (which is
OK I guess) BUT, it highlighted a couple of deep cracks going all the
way to the bottom of the race! The worm was bad and possibly
dangerous.

I ended up pulling the s-box off my car. (so nice when the apron is
down) and re-using its worm with the spare casting/peg. This worm BTW
has not a single chip.

Lesson learnt: If your steering box does not behave, you not only
have a sloppy car but but your safety and that of others can be at
risk.

That's all for tonight

Francois
TR3B, apron on the side for now