Italian Job remake

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Italian Job remake
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 05:56:38 -0800
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
According to a news wire today:

"The Italian Job" set for remake

By Cathy Dunkley and Claude Brodesser

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Hollywood bosses have struck a seven figure deal with
one of its hottest directors for a remake of the classic British film "The
Italian Job".

F. Gary Gray will direct a new version of the 1969 heist movie that starred
Michael Caine, Noel Coward and Benny Hill.

The Paramount Pictures project is due to start production on July 22 for a
planned summer 2003 release.

The original picture told the story of a bungled, high-risk heist
undertaken in Italy under the nose of the Mafia. It boasted one of the most
famous celluloid car chases, featuring a Mini Cooper, two Jaguars and a
bus, as Caine's character Charlie Croker brought traffic to a standstill in
Turin attempting to steal the gold and escape.

Though executives were unwilling to unveil plot twists in the new version,
the feature will start in Italy and wind up in Los Angeles.

Gray most recently directed New Line's upcoming "Diablo", starring Vin
Diesel, Larenz Tate and Timothy Olyphant. Other directing credits include
"Friday", "The Negotiator" and "Set It Off".

Ya think they'll use the new Mini ??
Hopefully the remake will be better than most of the remakes I've see
lately.  The last ones I've seen were real disappointments.  The Time
Machine and Planet of the Apes spring to mind - what a waste -