basic hi-performance

To: "Rolf" <krugerr@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: basic hi-performance
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:32:18 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Rolf"
>I have a 71 TR6 with rebuilt motor.  What is the "best bang for the buck"
response for upgrading engine and suspension.  Any specific thoughts on any
particular brand would be great!
<

When you say rebuilt motor, do you mean it is fully assembled?  If so, did
you have it balanced?  Did you shave the head?  The best bang for the buck
is with bucks spent while the engine is apart.

As for suspension, there's several levels to whch you can take it.
Polyurethane bushings will help the suspension maintain its geometry at the
expense of harshness but when I converted the car felt like the wheels just
went up and down over bumps whereas before the felt like they went up and
down and in and out and for and aft when going over bumps.  I recommend
them.

You can go with stiffer shocks.  You can get KYB's, or Spax or Koni's for
the front.  In the rear you can chose between heavy duty (revalved) lever
shocks or tube conversion kits.

The rear springs are a bit soft for real sports car work and Ted S has his
versions which I intend to try at some point.

I upgraded the front sway bar to a 7/8 in from Addco and added a 5/8 bar at
the rear, also from Addco.

Just what you do is a function of your priorities and your intended use.
If the car is for touring then really stiff springs and shocks may be a bit
extreme but just right for autocross.  Adding sway bars to the rear will
kick you out of stock class at an SCCA event.  Or VTR.

I suggest poly bushings and uprated shocks first.  Stiffer rear springs and
then maybe front springs.  Tube shock conversions are not for everyone as
they come with certain trade-off's.  And sway bars also have compromises
attached. You have to consider what your goals are.

So, what are you planning to do with the car?

Dave