RE: TR2 to neg ground - longish

To: "ATT" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: TR2 to neg ground - longish
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:58:58 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Message text written by "ATT"
>However, IMO, this is yet another example of the 'excuses' I made
reference
to.  There is absolutely no reason that an alternator can't be made in a
positive ground configuration, and in fact some of the early Lucas models
were externally switchable between positive and negative.  Even later units
can be switched by installing the diodes backwards (that is, installing the
'positive' diodes on the ground side and vice versa).
<

Indeed it is true that it is equally easy to make an alternator either
positive or negative earth.  However, further down in the exerpt he states:

"*Coincident with this resolve, is the requirement for vehicles that
historically have had positive earth systems  to realign to negative
earth. While there is no intrinsic difficulty with a Positive earth
system, there is ample evidence that in some world markets, a negative
earth system is an accepted standard. Joseph Lucas Limited feels that
to continue with an earthing standard that does not recognise this
convention could lead to normal maintenance and repair procedures
being compromised by those who are technically unaware of specific
system differences."

So according to Joseph Lucas Limited, there was an emerging international
defacto standard of negative ground and they chose the point of conversion
to alternators as a convenient time to also change to negative ground.
They did not give evidence of this standard and we have determined that it
wasn't Ford Motor Company.  But my original surmization (is that a word?)
is appearnetly correct.

Dave