RE: TR4 wiper motor questions

Subject: RE: TR4 wiper motor questions
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:09:45 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
PeterSchop@aol.com wrote :

> It seems as if the DR3A is the wiper gear case and the motor on it can be
> either a single or two speed. As far as the color, it can be
> either wrinkle
> black or hammerite grey with even the two speed motor.

My apologies if I've missed part of this discussion, my email server seems
to be a bit erratic these days.  Does anyone have a DR3A that is two-speed,
or a DR3 that is single speed ?

Bill Piggott implies that the DR3A was the single speed version of the DR3.
My 65 and 69 Lucas catalogs have them listed side by side in the detail
section, the photos make it clear that the DR3 is two-speed while the DR3A
is single speed.  BTW, the 'motor' is not the only difference, the photos
show a slightly different gear housing and park contact assy.  The parts
list also lists a different P/N for the park contacts.  However, there is
what I believe is a misprint in the application section of the 1965 ST
catalog, it lists P/N 75448D as a model DR3A, optional two-speed wiper motor
for a TR4.  But then in the detail section, P/N 75448D is listed as a DR3,
with a different field coil and park contacts than the DR3A models.

Randall