Installing Valve seals on a TR6 - logistics

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Installing Valve seals on a TR6 - logistics
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:32:46 -0800 (PST)
So Im close to attempting to put valve seals on my 1970 TR6.

I know that it is really just a band-aid until I get around to rebuilding a
head and putting in a new cam.  (Anyone got a spare head they wanna sell?)

I went and bought a Sears $15 valve spring compressor . . the kind that will
work with the head still on the engine.

And Ive got the pneumatic attachements to put air pressure in the cylinder to
hold the valves up while I take the spring off.

Theres a guy here at work who just doesnt believe this will work or is even
necessary for that matter.

He thinks the air pressure wont hold up the valve enough to allow the keepers
to be removed.  He says when I whack the spring down to break them loose, Ill
open the valve, loose the pressure and it will drop.

He also says it wont matter as long as the engine is at top dead center cause
the valve wont fall far enough to lose it anyway.

Anyone been there done that care to comment?

Scott Tilton
Leesburg, VA
http://taxes.yahoo.com/