Re: Buying a TR6 - or a Herald 1200 Convertible?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying a TR6 - or a Herald 1200 Convertible?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 23:02:52 +0100
In article <3CB0B676.4060503@erols.com>, Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
writes
>Mike,
>
>I gather you're in the UK. Heralds seem fairly abundant there. A recent
>thread on triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com suggests there are a couple
>for sale right now on Loot.com, no word as to specific model. There are
>always ads in Triumph World Magazine, and I suspect other UK
>publications.

Yes, I'm here in the Home of the Triumph. :-)   I have just sent my
subscription request to the Yahoo! group, and will also start checking
the ads in the printed press.

>The stock 1147 engine in the 1200 is a trifle underpowered - 75mph is
>not a problem on a flat, and higher speeds are achievable downhill, but
>when you start working against gravity the power limits become
>apparent. But there are easy modifications to improve this to Spitfire
>1147 specs. Which are beginning to tempt me after a family outing last
>October in the hills of Rockland County, NY...

<g>   I presume that you simply swap out the single carb for a TC
set-up, and maybe tweak a few other things?

>Or you could go for a Vitesse, essentially a Herald with a GT6 engine,
>but not as pretty due to some strange styling decisions in the front.
>Reminds me of a Herald wearing a fright mask :>

Couldn't agree more.   Those "eyebrows" are very off-putting.   For much
the same reason, I won't consider a 13/60 Convertible, despite the fact
that there a lot more of them about, and they are rather cheaper to buy.

>Buying issues: Rust is to be avoided. Check especially the rear chassis
>outriggers where the radius arms attach, front floor pans, and the
>front edge of the boot. And the spare tyre well while you have the boot
>mat lifted. Best to go with the later (mid-'62, post GA80000) due to
>uprated chassis, which I believe will accept a Spitfire engine as a
>transplant without modification, for those so inclined.

This is a perfect match for other advice I've received, so thank you for
confirming that.

ATB

--
Mike