Re: TR2/3 - Stuck Engine - HELP!

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR2/3 - Stuck Engine - HELP!
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@ultrasw.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:21:43 -0700
Rob Blubaugh wrote:

> the engine has now LOCKED UP COMPLETELY.
>
>      DOES ANYONE HAVE IDEAS WHAT THIS COULD BE?

I sure this thought is shared by all on this list -- don't give up.  Most of us
have been in a jam of one sort or another with our cars that had us wondering if
it is all worth it.  Later when it is sorted out and we're back on the road we
know the answer to that question.

I agree the original problem sounds like ignition... I had similar symptoms with
a faulty coil connection  -- old Lucas coil with spade terminals riveted on --
rivets were loose and intermittently interrupted ignition.

Re your current dilemma...

> .....Before the engine locked up I did another compression test and all
> cylinders returned at test of about 200 - 205 psi.

This sounds really high to me -- even allowing for variances in compression
gauges -- but not sure how that would relate to the lock-up.

Have you removed the plugs yet?  I wonder if a blown head gasket could have led
to a dose of coolant into a cylinder & hydrostatic lock (I think that's the
term)?  Anyway, you'll know when you pull the plugs.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4
Tucson