Re: distributor and carb questions

To: <lstein6@earthlink.net>, "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: distributor and carb questions
From: <stantr6@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:55:22 -0400
Regarding #1 - the springs are as you describe in my '74 TR6 dist.  I've
ordered a replacement set from TRF, but they are on backorder.

I spoke with Dave at TRF about the difference between them - he indicated that
was as designed; the one weight would engage at slower RPM, with both engaged
at higher RPM.  As I understand it, the degree of dampening needed is not
linear with the increase in RPM; hence the "two stage" approach with the
differing springs.

Stan

> From: <lstein6@earthlink.net>
> Date: 2002/04/09 Tue AM 01:22:22 EDT
> To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: distributor and carb questions
>
> 72 gt6
> 1. distributor centrifugal stuff.  -  i noticed that one of the two return
> springs for the centrifugal advance is like stretched.  it is loose and
> doesn't really do anything, so all the pull back is being done by the other
> spring.  is this a serious problem ?  can you get the one spring ?  watching
> the timing with a good timing light, if i advance the throttle so the timing
> goes past 24btdc it take like one second per degree to return to 12btdc slowly
> drifting down the rpms (takes 12 seconds).  i don't know if this is because of
> this spring or something else in the distributor or the carbs or ???  there is
> good vacuum at the distributor at idle and it goes away above idle like it is
> supposed to.
> 2. carb stuff  (stromberg cd150) -  i set the mixture manually to 2 full turns
> out (counterclockwise) from all the way in (clockwise) figuring that was a
> nice middle ground setting.    it did not start well.   turned the carbs all
> the way out (counterclockwise) - full lean.  car started quickly now.  lifted
> the piston in each carb after car was warmed up slowly with a screwdriver.
> noticed that idle increased, which according to manual means it is still rich.
> hmmm, turning the jet out - counter clockwise is to lean the carb isn't it ?
> i am at 6950' altitude here, so the air is thin.  i don't have jets to replace
> and don't know where to get them.  i have disassembled and cleaned the carbs
> twice now.  do i need new jets ? anyone know where to get them and what i
> should get ?
> thanks ! larry lstein6@earthlink.net

Stan Kinmonth
1974 TR6, Frame-off going back together