front SU floods

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: front SU floods
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:04:57 -0400
I have retrofitted a set of euro-spec TR7 carbs to my TR7.  In the colder
weather everything seened fine, but
as I ran the car the other day I found that the idle was degraded (slower
and rougher).  I raised the idle with the
idle adjuster screws and the speed was greater but the idle was still
uneven.

I found that the front carb was so rich,  that I could not lean it out
enough even with the jet fully screwed upward.
I found that the fuel was level was flush with the top of the jet

I have since checked and replaced the float jet with one that I am as sure
as possible is properly sealing.
I installed a fuel pressure regulator and turned it down to 1.5 psi for the
purposes of testing.
I switched the front and rear floats with no differences.
I shimmed the float to lower the fuel level, and now it is more than 1/8"
below the top of the jet, maybe as much as 1/4"
I have pressure tested the fuel supply to the float valve and did not get
the fuel to rise up in the jet even with 3+ psi applied.
I have then tested the engine and found that the bridge is still wet with
fuel when idling., but when I take the dome and piston out,
the fuel level in the jet is as listed above.

It is still running excessively righ at idle, and I have no way to find out
what it is doing off idle, except to say it seems to rev fine.
I just do not want to drive it much if it is going lean when off idle.

Has anyone had something like this?  Any solutions?  Any ideas?

-Tony
New email address is rhodes@comcast.net