Edison

To: <steven@newellboys.com>
Subject: Edison
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:05:49 -0400
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Steven,

We have this discussion on the Phono List a lot.  Most, I think, agree that
a properly maintained machine with a rebuilt reproducer an the correct
stylus will not wear records excessively.  Make sure the Diamond Disk
reproducer weight can swing freely side to side and time the Diamond Disks
at 80 RPM, not 78.  Your diamond stylus should not leave a mark on the shiny
areas of the disk, nor should you get black grit from it.  If you do, you
need to have the stylus replaced.

Lost in the rant is the fact that in 1968 a somewhat beat '58 TR 3 always
worked.  I drove it to school and back daily, about 13 miles each way.  It
sat in a garage at night but I also took night classes and came out to a car
that was sitting all day and in sub zero weather until 9:30 or so on many
nights that winter.  It ALWAYS started, even if it cranked slowly.  This
leads me to believe that if the battery is not charging or the car does not
start easily, there are other problems to be corrected before one starts
making it less TR-3. (or 4 or 6)

Ron L